1.) WHERE IS THE POLAR EXPRESS?
At this time of year, we’re getting many questions about The Polar Express and requests to please put it back on the site. Unfortunately the rights to the stories that we put on Storyline Online are sometimes not given to us indefinitely… and in the case of The Polar Express the publisher took back the rights.
The good news is that we’re working on some other fantastic, timeless holiday stories for Storyline Online. So in the future there will be some other great alternatives.
1.5) YouTube is blocked from our school, how can we watch?
You can use SchoolTube! Many organizations and schools block YouTube from their servers. Just click the little SchoolTube/YouTube switch in the top-left of the screen and all your videos will be played on SchoolTube instead. Click it again to switch back to YouTube.
2.) Wow! What happened to the site?
This is the new, improved Storyline Online website! If you have any thoughts, we welcome your feedback! Please send us a note below.
3.) What are the Site’s Technical Requirements?
This site is optimized and tested for all modern browsers on PCs, Macs, tablets and smart phones. An internet connection with at least 500+ Kbps is ideal.
Do I need Flash?
4.) We Want More!
We do too, and new videos are coming soon! Part of the reason for the new site is to better enable us to raise funds to create more videos. At the moment we’ve only been able to release 2 videos per year, but we plan to increase that to 4 next year. We just launched Chester’s Way (Oct 2013), and we will be producing more in the months ahead.
5) Where is the running time of each video?
You’ll find the running time for each video on the book’s individual page right below the video player.
6) How do I turn on Closed Captioning?
When you click “play” on any YouTube video, you’ll see a “CC” button appear on the bottom right part of the video. Just click on that to turn on or off captions. Unfortunately SchoolTube doesn’t yet have the option for captions, but it may in the future.
7) The videos aren’t playing!
The page loads, but there’s just a black box in the middle of the screen.
Please try these steps:
1) try clicking the SchoolTube button in the upper left hand corner of the site. Even if the YouTube videos used to play on the old site, the new site may not play them if your school or organization blocks YouTube.
3) try emptying your browser’s cache and re-loading the site. On most systems this can be done by holding down the Shift key as you re-load the page. On some browsers, you may need to select “empty cache” from one of the menus. More detailed instructions.
4) your computer’s Flash plug-in may not be working correctly. Uninstall Flash, then download the newest version at www.Adobe.com, and follow the installation instructions to reinstall Flash. When the installation is complete, relaunch your browser. Adobe has some more Flash Player troubleshooting tips here: http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/
5) still not working? Email us below. Please include your browser with version number, your operating system with version number and your internet connection type or speed.
8) Why can’t I hear the videos?
This is an issue with YouTube, they are working to solve it. You need to manually adjust the volume on the YouTube player. Look for the control in the same area as the player button.
Here’s more info about it on the YouTube site – http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/ETfCgHO4MhU[1-25-true]
9) What about books in other languages?
We’re eager to include bilingual books too! We expect to include a Spanish/English book soon, and will add more as resources allow. So… aun hay mas!
10) What happened to The Polar Express?
We are afraid the publisher took back the rights for THE POLAR EXPRESS; some publishers won’t give them to us forever…. However, we are working on some other great holiday story options.
Have More Questions?
Please email us and we’ll post the most common ones here.